Questions often asked:
How do I clean food spills from velvet seat cover/dining room chairs?
Once you order your crushed velvet furniture from us.. what happens next? We want to make sure our HOS family are prepared in case something like this happens to their upholstery! Hopefully you wont need this tips but we all know accidents can happen! This blog post will be your saviour and tell you everything you need to know when it comes to cleaning your crushed velvet upholstery!
What you will need:
- Dishwashing detergent
- Dry cleaning solvent
- Bucket & Sponge
- Soft cloths
- Hair dryer / Fan
Steps to clean and keep your Crushed Velvet pristine:
- As soon as the spill happens – soak it up with either paper towels or a soft cloth.
- For more persistent stains: Mix some dishwashing detergent with lukewarm water and agitate vigorously until suds fill to the top.
- Use a soft cloth to apply only the suds to the stained area.
- Blot the suds onto the stains until they start to fade.
- Blot with a clean cloth to remove the remaining stain and any residue from the suds.
- Allow the area to dry completely, or dry with a hair dryer or fan.
- Using dry cleaning solvents to remove the stains. Apply the solvent to a moist cloth and blot it on the stain as before.
- Allow the solvent to dry on the fabric (hair dryer can be used to speed up the process).
- Brush the surface of the fabric to restore the nap after it has completely dried.
ADDITIONAL TIPS & IDEAS:
Allowing stains to set on velvet not only affects its appearance, but it also affects the durability of the material. The food left on the fabric causes the fabric to weaken which takes away even more from the beautiful appearance.
- When blotting stains, avoid using too much pressure as this can actually push the stain further into the fibers.
- Use a steamer to restore the luster and shine of the velvet. Keep it moving in the direction of the nap.